Sunday, August 25, 2013

My Husband

I almost don't know how to write this blog!  In our short five years together, so much has happened.

Ben and I on our "blind" date.  Thank goodness it was
a double date with friends because I barely spoke a word
 the entire night!

 Ben and I met through a mutual friend, Kendall.  I had just finished my sophomore year at Belmont and was convinced that I was doomed to live a single, lonely life.  Someone recommended the book, Lady in Waiting, to me and I begrudgingly began reading through it.  I didn't make it through the entire book, because I didn't have to.  Within the first two chapters I felt God revealing to me what I should have already known.  That He is the ultimate provider and my trust should solely be in Him, a theme that has emerged in my life numerous times.  I remember surrendering and admitting (out loud) that I would trust the plan that God had for my life and that even if I had to wait until I was 80 years old, that I only wanted the man that God had prepared for me.

Our first alone date. 

Two weeks later... Ben came into my life and the rest is history.  Now, I won't be telling Ben's side of the story, because its his to tell!  However, ironically Ben was going through the same feeling of doubt that I was and had a very similar "ah-ha" moment with God.  Isn't God's timing perfect?  I sure think so!

Ben proposed at Opry Land Hotel in Nashville, where
 we had our first date.  He popped the question
 in the exact spot of our first kiss, the waterfall!

Fast forward 6 short months, and we were engaged!  Looking back, I realize how short of an amount of time that truly is.  In our defense, we did wait another year and a half before we tied the knot and we knew that God had blessed us.  We were married three weeks after my graduation from Belmont.  Our wedding was the most magical day for me (I know, very cliche!) and I loved being able to share our day surrounded by the people we love.

June 4, 2010

I began grad school that August and we had every intention of waiting until I was finished with school to have kids.  Ha! Once again, God had a better plan for our lives than we ever could have imagined.  



At the end of January, we discovered that I was pregnant.  We were simultaneously overjoyed and terrified.  We immediately went to the store and picked up a three pack of a pregnancy test that clearly stated pregnant or not pregnant.  Three tests later, we decided to go ahead and share the news with our parents THAT night.  There were definitely mixed emotions from my mom and dad, as I was only 22 and had just gotten married 7 short months before.  Plus, I was still in school.  I shrugged off any concern about school, knowing that I would complete all of my classes and that my pregnancy wouldn't affect anything.  Ha (again)!

June 2009

I'll share more about my pregnancy, birthing experience and son in another post, as they each deserve their own post!

2008

Today, Ben and I have been married three years and are parents to a precious little boy, Montgomery.  In our short 3 years of marriage, we have experienced extreme sickness (me), major surgery (Ben), the welcoming of a child, the purchase of our first home, job changes and so much more.  We are still learning how to manage our lives as a family of three, and are finding life doesn't really get "easier," only that God helps mold us into what we need to be.  



I am so thankful for Ben, for loving me when I am not very lovable and for embracing me for who I am.  He is an amazing husband to me and father to our son and God knew exactly what He was doing.. 





No comments:

Post a Comment