Sunday, September 29, 2013

Montgomery's Daniel Tiger 2nd Birthday Party

I promise this isn't just a party planning blog!  It just so happened that I had two baby showers planned and my son's second birthday coming up when I decided to start blogging.  My husband made me promise yesterday that there were no more big parties coming up until at least Thanksgiving.  So this *should* be my last party blog for a while.  Enjoy!

Montgomery loves the television show, Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood on PBS.  Its a spin-off of Mr. Roger's Neighborhood and is a super cute show.   Because Montgomery loves the show so much, we just knew he needed to have a "Dan-Dan" birthday party.  The only problem we ran into was that there was nothing Daniel Tiger on the market!  The show first aired September 2012, so it is a fairly new show.  Thankfully, Toys R Us released some DT toys about three weeks before Montgomery's birthday!  Between my mom and Ben and I, we bought every DT toy they had.  Ben and I decided to let Montgomery go ahead and open his presents from us on his actual birthday so that we could use some of those Daniel toys for decoration! 

The shop where I found most of my DT clipart can be found here:

Thankfully, Etsy.com came to my rescue again.  Since there are no pre-made Daniel Tiger birthday invitations, Etsy was the first place I looked.  There were several digital cards to choose from with DT and some of his friends on them.  I also found some digital "stickers" with Daniel on them that I later added to his birthday banner and the kids' candy bar treats.  There was also a Daniel Tiger Appliqué on Etsy so I was able to make him a shirt.  I found an adorable birthday hat as well! All-in-all, I would say Etsy and Toys R Us were my biggest suppliers for this party! 

The banner I made mostly using a Cricut Imagine.  The Daniel Tiger clipart 
was from the same Etsy store I purchased the invitation.  

Y'all know I had to make a wreath for this party!  This was a fun wreath to make because I had to pull my inspiration from several different wreaths as there were no Daniel Tiger wreaths found on Pinterest! Ha! I knew I wanted to use bunting that said Montgomery is 2, but his name is SO long (10 letters! I mean, what were we thinking?!), so I didn't want to paint like I did for the previous baby shower wreath.  I turned to the Cricut again.  Usually I wouldn't use paper products on a wreath since it will be outside,  but I knew this wreath was primarily for his party and our front porch is covered.  I found a wooden number 2 at Hobby Lobby and discovered a pretty nifty way to spruce it up on Pinterest.  Simply lay a piece of scrapbook paper on a flat surface, design down (preferably with a mat or cutting board underneath).  Then cover the front of the number with a spray adhesive and place it face down on the paper.  Press down and hold for a few moments.  I let mine dry for about 10 minutes.  Then, take a sharp craft knife and simply outline the number, applying pressure while doing so.  Once you're done cutting, lift up your number/letter and wah-la!  Super easy!  I did a simple burlap wreath with a red burlap bow to finish it off.

Add a Daniel Tiger plush or any other themed-plush to 
your wreath by tying with twine.  

For the actual party, Ben and I decided to do a hotdog bar since Montgomery LOVES hotdogs!  It was a fairly affordable trip to the grocery store for the all the supplies and we'll probably do another one in the future.  Everyone really seemed to enjoy all the different toppings and combinations they could try on their dog.  

I found these containers for our toppings at Dollar Tree!  
A pack of 5 for $1.  Can't beat that!

Our toppings were:
Cheddar Cheese
Sauerkraut
Coleslaw
Chili
Sweet Relish
Dill Relish
Tomatoes
Onion
Dill Spears
Pepperocini's 
Jalapenos
Bacon
Mustard
Ketchup
Brown Mustard 
Horseradish Sauce

We decided to just do chips for sides since there were so many topping options.  We found hotdog baskets (if that's what they're called..) on amazon and red and white checkered liners.  They were pretty cheap and now we have them for future hotdog bar parties! :)

For dessert we had cookies and an amazing cake.  The same lady who did Montgomery's birthday cake last year did it again this year (and will again next year too!).  Megan at Bushel and a Peck Bakery is AMAZING!  She did a fantastic job!  She had every detail down to a T! 




Montgomery had an amazing second birthday.  I'm so thankful for everyone who came and spent their Saturday morning loving on my little boy! It makes this momma's heart swell with love.  I can never express my gratitude enough for those who spend their time with him.  Ben and I love that Montgomery not only has an awesome family, but also an amazing church family and group of friends that love him like family!

Here are a few more pictures of decorations and different things from his party.  Please contact me if you would like contact information from any of the above the people listed or any questions.  Thanks!



 The entry way table.  I found the stop light on amazon for $8.. and it worked!  The yellow rectangles are hershey bars wrapped in yellow card stock with a personalized Daniel Tiger sticker on them. So thankful for those DT toys to decorate with!  Notice the adorable birthday hat that Montgomery would NOT wear!


I had to have water bottle labels!  Another Etsy find!


 Mason Jars with paper straws..  a birthday staple!











2 comments:

  1. This was awesome! My son is obsessed with Daniel Tiger. So I want to do that for his second birthday party this summer. These were great ideas! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing with us. I am going to do this theme for my twins 2nd birthday party in 3 weeks.

    ReplyDelete